Thursday, March 21, 2024

The Nostalgia

 Soccer. For some reason, I wanted to play again. It's been a while and I went back and forth about how I should have played in Italy when I had the opportunity.

I started playing again recreationally (prior to my ankle injury). First, at the park with my sons. We practiced practiced practiced. After a while, they got to watch me play. 

My friend put me on one of the best teams and I hadn't played in a long time. I didn't know there was a difference in teams at the time but being a part of that team pushed me to want to improve immediately. 

I felt the joy of playing again. I remembered the scents I would wear, the pre game and post game routines, the meals surrounding the games, the barley green in the water. The nostalgia. 

The amount of focus it takes and how incredible the teamwork is. This level of play was different than I've ever experienced. I headed the ball and it was a little bit too hard. I started seeing the game in slow motion. I loved learning about the game like that. It was fascinating. The next game was normal. How did that happen? I wondered. Thank you God. I thought. I want to see the game like that again. 

My parents helped me watch my kids. My sister helped me watch my kids. My nieces helped me watch my kids. I wanted to play every day. 

I still want to play but I can't even run yet. So I watch watch watch. 

And my kids play play play. 

Soccer makes me smile from ear to ear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment