Sunday, April 7, 2024

The People

 As I was driving on the freeway the other day, I couldn't help but think about the most recent videos of earthquakes I've seen, especially the ones from Taiwan. Those made me feel nauseous actually. 

I was crossing one of the overpasses just hoping the traffic would move a little bit quicker just incase. I thought to myself about where I'd rather be most and what areas would be such a blessing to be in should we have to go through a big one.

God forbid.

I wanted to turn the car around for a moment and go home, but that wasn't the answer either. 

Every day is a risk. Every bit of going places is as much of a risk as staying home in a certain way, I thought. So I kept driving. 

Life is as unpredictable as playing soccer. We take the field and don't know what each game will bring, but we've practiced so much our muscles have memorized the movements we make. Sometimes we can create, sometimes we score, sometimes we defend, and we work together as a team. Every moment requires our attention and we get breaks when we need them.

When I see the men I grew up watching play soccer every Sunday, the story continues. The brilliant and beautiful narrative of the game of soccer. Introducing new and old perspectives, players, coaches, places, management and possibilities. 

I don't love the game more than I love the people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment